So the other night I asked my husband to make stuffed peppers cause I had been craving them and we hadn't had them in SOOO long. Naturally cause I'm spoiled he obliged. = ] Because it had been so long though he couldn't remember the recipe he made the last time he made them so he went hunting and then adjusted to his preferences. I asked him to write it up for me so I could share it to the blog so we'd have it for future reference and naturally he had to add a smart ass spin on it. So please enjoy our stuffed peppers recipe as told by my husband (and his hair brained wife who turned the oven off instead of the timer during cooking time LOL)
- 1lb. Ground beef
- 4 peppers
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 large white onion ( more or less depending preference
- 1 teaspoon garlic ( 1 clove fresh either or)
- Salt , pepper , oregano
- Cheese grated , mozzarella or mix of choice.
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes drained
- 2 cans sauce
- Cut tops off peppers, cut off enough of the tops to make 1/2 cup for mixture.
- Clean out insides
- Place peppers in large pot and cover with water.
- Pull out peppers bring water to boil, then put peppers back in for 3-7 minutes depending on preference. (longer boil peppers will be softer)
- Pull out peppers rinse in cold water and place to the side to drain and dry.
- Cook one cup of rice per instructions on box.
- Make sure to put rice in separate bowl immediately or it will stick to pot.
- Brown the 1lb. Of meat and season the Fuck out of it (or to taste)
- Drain grease and put meat in bowl with rice.
- Salt and pepper the fuck out of that as you mix it together.
- Finely chop (or to consistency of your liking) the onion and the pepper tops.
- Sauté the two in a pan with cooking oil of choice until soft, not burnt
- Add the drained petite diced tomatoes to the meat and rice.check seasoning
- Add onions and peppers and check flavor ... Add more salt..
- Mix for a bit.
- Add 1/2 to 1 full can of Tomato sauce. (Depends how much you like tomato sauce?) Mix well.
- Remember those Peppers get those standing nicely in a glass baking tray? If they don't stand cut a little off the bottom. To stand.
- Stuff those babies until they are full, or until you run out of meat.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over...Oh you used it all, we'll good thing I said TWO CANS!!
- Pour the tomato sauce over the peppers and get that oven preheating to 350!
- Cover those babies tight with tin foil, 10 minutes at 350.
- Take off the tin foil and go another 15minutes. (Unless your wife turns off the oven then go 20 minutes.)
- In the last 3 minutes pour on some shredded cheese, don't get stingy really load up.
- When you got all that cheese melted up real nice. Pull me out and serve!