One of my favorite dessert / comfort foods is cherry crisp. It's delicious, warm and super easy to make. I use to make it in a square pan but mine recently decided to kick the bucket so this time around I tried my 9" circle cake pan and I feel like it came out a bit better. Gregory is happier with the proportions or the crisp to the cherry (he likes them balance while I could totally do more crisp than cherry LOL). I like that it just seemed to look prettier and still taste just as delicious!
Usually I like to go with a simple just cherry crisp but sometimes I like to add a little more fun and I'll do a scoop of vanilla ice cream or maybe some whip cream. It obviously taste the absolutely best when it's just out of the over (after giving it some time to cool to avoid burning your mouth lol) but I find a quick 20 second microwave (for a single portion not the whole pan...granted mine is in a metal pan so I DON'T recommend doing that!) and it's damn near close!
- 1 can cherry pie filling (1 lb, 5 oz)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 white cake mix, no pudding
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread pie filling on the bottom of pan/dish, sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine dry cake mix with melted butter then spread over pie filling.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
What's your favorite comfort food? Do you make it when you're feeling down or just when the mood strikes you?